Wednesday 9 October 2013

Not the Dumfries Half Marathon Race Report

Confession time!, I've started to write a report on the Dumfries Half marathon about half a dozen times, but every time I settled down either the creative muse failed me, work or running intervened.
I finally worked out why I was struggling as the truth is really, not a lot happened! It was all over pretty quickly (for an ultra runner) without major drama or incident.
The race is very well organised by Dumfries Running Club, starting at Dumfries College and run mostly on very quiet country roads. Experienced interpreters or race description-speak will have seen through the enticing words describing "spectacular scenery.....and a great view of Criffel Hill" as "great views, but you've got to run 1 mile uphill to see them" and "PB potential" as "its not exactly flat".
I'll be back!

Its the only race that I've run every since I took up running 5 years ago and I've improved my time every year, so no pressure there then.
Not only was the race was Dumfries Harriers club championship but Portobello RC and Clyde Runners were using it for theirs too, slightly disappointing that only 7 or 8 Harriers toed the start line for this major local race.
Given recent injury and post WHW lack of form and pace I'd have been happy with anything sub 1:40 so my eventual 1:35:48 made me a very happy bunny indeed. Decent goody bag and a technical t-shirt and a chance to catch up with a lot of running mates.
Quote of the day was Roy from Portobello demonstrating a proper city boy outlook with "does everywhere in Dumfries smell of cow poo?".

Would I recommend the race? of course I would, I'll be back next year for more.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment